This project is read-only.

SharpGL or OpenTK

May 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM

For the record I am a newbie when it comes to OpenGL I've generally dealt with DirectX(generally with a library not low level) and I'm looking to develop my game engine on top of OpenGL mainly because this way it can be compiled on any system and the platforms I plan on reaching are.
- iOs
- Android
- Windows(2000-7) Yes many people still use 2000, I use 7 for graphical/tools reasons otherwise XP is a good Os still.
- Mac OS X Intel (10.5-current)
- Linux (Will be testing on Arch Linux)

I don't think sharpgl or opentk will have a problem with this, I'm just wondering what are the differences between sharpgl and opentk to make an educated decision.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Hi,

is SharpGL can work on Linux or Mac platforms ?

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Should work fine with Mono on Linux, on Mac I'm not sure :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately it can't work on Linux or Mac for now because you make a direct call of OpenGL3D.dll for wrapping functions. On Linux (or mac) it's another lib that you must call. Do you have plans for targeting Linux or Mac ? Because it can be cool to have a good and new wrapper for OpenGL on theses platforms. OpenTK work but have some issues.

Thank for 2.1 release ;)
Feb 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM
If it is simply that on Linux/Mac the DLL is a different file name, then the use of OpenGL3D.dll in a string could be replaced with conditional compilation macros to switch platform, e.g.

if WIN32

const string glLibrary = "OpenGL3d.dll"

else if UNIX

const string glLibrary = "somethingelse.dll"

end if

this is a straightforward change and just required changing the build configuration to use the appropriate settings. However, I don't have a Mac or Linux machine, so testing could be difficult for me. I'd be happy to try and change the code and check it in, but would need to do some testing on the platforms before it'd be safe to release it.