This project is read-only.

SharpGL + Stereoscopic Viewing

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I'm new to SharpGL (and OpenGL in general) and am looking for a platform to display stereo images via shutter glasses (e.g. Nvidia 3D Vision) from within WPF... Can SharpGL do quad buffer rendering that works with shutter glasses?  Are there any examples online?

Thanks, -M

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Do you know what the exact NVidia extension is that you want to use? This page:

http://sharpgl.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=OpenGL%20Extensions%20Compatibility&IsNewlyCreatedPage=true

Has all of the currently supported extensions listed, if one is missing let me know and I can add it - I may indeed do a sample on this if it looks like it may be helpful to others :)

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure which extension... I am still a bit of a noob at OpenGL.

Essentially, I just want to render to the left back buffer and the right back buffer and have the video card drivers should (i think) handle the stereo process.

I've seen an example using c++ and glut where the display mode is initialized with GLUT_DOUBLE, GLUT_RGB and GLUT_STEREO.  Then it draws to GL_BACK_LEFT, clears, draws to GL_BACK_RIGHT, clears and then swaps the buffers.  This example runs as expected on my hardware with the images correctly syncing with the shutter glasses.

Trying something similar didn't seem to work in SharpGL... only the last buffer drawn to (GL_BACK_RIGHT) was being displayed,  so I wasn't sure whether or not this was supported or if I was just doing something wrong.  In place of glut's InitDisplayMode, I used SharpGL's "Enable" e.g.  gl.Enable(OpenGL.GL_STEREO); assuming that was the same thing.

Thanks, -M

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

OK... Just so this is out there for anybody else trying to do the same thing:  It does NOT appear as if SharpGL supports quad buffering.  While the Back Left and Back Right buffers appear to be enumerated, they don't appear to actually do anything. -M